Leveraging remanufactured printers as a part of your hardware strategy is a great way to achieve your full profit potential. Surprisingly a full 98% of imaging dealers are missing the boat on the affordability and sustainability advantages versus buying and installing new OEM hardware.
Whether it’s simply habit or lack of understanding, most dealers continue to lead with new printers that tend to cost up to 50% more than a comparable remanufactured device that comes with the same, or even better, performance guarantee. This begs the question:
Are your customers buying a printer or the pages the printer produces?
What many dealers seem to forget is that the minute they install a new printer, they have immediately cut into their post sales margins because the dealer and the end user is forced to pay a premium for OEM toner. This happens because there are no aftermarket supplies available for the first six months to a year after a new device is released. And for those of you looking at declining fleet margins, remember that your cost of toner typically makes up approximately 60% of a dealers cost per page.
Economic Reality = Opportunity
In today’s challenging economy, most customers are buying cost savings. From the feedback we received from a recent dealer roundtable, the adoption of remanufactured printers is now following the same acceptance curve we saw a decade ago in the remanufactured toner arena. And if we may politely nudge you at this point, look what’s happened there. Like toner, the quality of the product has come leaps and bounds and that’s exactly why LMI Solutions recently acquired Global Printer Services – the industry's undisputed leader in producing top quality monochrome and color devices.
Take a walk through the warehouse of the TOP 10 most profitable dealers in North America and you will find GPS printers in stock. They, like you now, know that a GPS printer looks like a brand new printer and comes with the same warranty, or better, than new.
Here are 5 ways smart dealers are using remanufactured printers right now:
1. Winning Cost Conscious Customers – The savings of going with a remanufactured device can be as much as 67% per page over a normal 36 month term when combined with an LMI high yield cartridge.
2. Service Hot Swaps – Dealers have an inventory of remanufactured printers ready to swap when a customer’s device goes down. This keeps the customer operational and allows the tech time to diagnose and fix the problem back in their service area and not in the customer’s office. Win – win.
3. Fleet Profitability – New software allows dealers to identify printers that are expensive to operate or repair. By the time you send a technician out to fix a 7 year old printer with new parts, you may as well have just replaced it with a remanufactured device. By installing a remanufactured unit the customer sees tremendous value, and as a dealer you can protect your profitability.
4. Device Standardization – Rather than customers using different devices that require a mix of print drivers, consumables and service issues, dealers can install remanufactured devices and allow the customer and the service team to become more efficient with one standard make or model. This makes it easier for customers, streamlines inventory needs and reduces technician headaches.
5. It’s Greener! – Customers are now demanding sustainability. With 80% of a printer capable of being recycled it’s a compelling green alternative to buying new. Think of how green your new value proposition could be when you combine remanufactured printers with remanufactured toner and our exclusive Zero Landfill cartridge recycling services.
Of course there are endless ways you can leverage the quality, affordability and sustainability advantages of adding remanufactured printers to your hardware or managed print strategy. The question becomes, if you believe your customers are really buying pages and not printers, how long should you wait to educate yourself on the industry's latest breakthrough that delivers sustainable profitability on new and existing fleets.
If you’re currently one of the 98% not yet selling remanufactured printers, maybe now is the time to turn the tables on your competition with a greener print strategy that helps your customers save money and the environment.
To learn more, click below for our new report on “The Common Myths vs. Realities of Remanufactured Printers.”