Sometimes going counter flow to what everyone else is doing can create opportunities. This may be the case as we see some elite MPS providers selling away from color output devices with extremely cost conscious customers. They say today's value driven buyer is happy to simplify and save money by restricting users to black and white output only.
A typical office color printer that prints 2,000 pages/month in monochrome at 3 cents/page, and 2,000 pages/month in color at 8 cents/page, would cost $220 per month.
A typical office monochrome printer that prints 4,000 pages/month at 3 cents/page would cost $120 per month. That’s $100 less per printer, per month.
To sell monochrome only programs effectively you need to have the right cost-conscious prospect and know how to sell against a print strategy that includes color devices.
Selling Points of a Monochrome Managed Print Program:
- Less Expensive – The cost of consumables (toner) to operate a monochrome device is exponentially less expensive than for a color printer.
- Ultimate Color Control – Users are forced to print in black and white.
- Simplified Supplies – One monochrome toner cartridge vs. four cartridges (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) for staff to know how to change.
- Easy Access to High Quality / Yield Remanufactured Cartridges – Selecting the right monochrome printer makes it easy to source high quality remanufactured cartridges with up to 200% more impressions between cartridge changes. That’s less shipping, handling and inventory for you and the customer.
- 100% Recycled – Both printers and print cartridges can be recycled for future use and avoid landfill.
- Service Benefits – Monochrome printers tend to have less service issues and fewer quality fluctuations requiring a service call.
You know your customers best. Proposing a monochrome Managed Print Program vs a color program may not be your lead strategy, but in some cases, a simplified and more economical approach may be a benefit to you and your customers.